Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Manicures in the Library

I love crafts. Obsessed with them, actually. Thanks to Pinterest, I have an idea board that will probably last me until I'm 100. So when I saw a post on YALSA's blog that talked about crafts in the library, I was hooked! 

Then, they just had to talk about doing manicures in the library.

Yup. That was all it took. As an avid nail painter (yes, I paint my nails at least 3 times a week....please don't judge) this was my kind of post!  I loved Christine Lewis' idea of having students come to the library afterschool to paint their nails pink to support Breast Cancer research. This is such a creative way to integrate the library into a school sponsored awareness day or event. As a teenager, I would have loved to be able to paint my nails at school! I'm definitely going to store this idea for later.

One thing I'm really grateful for are then many ideas that these various social networks provide. I think that it's so important to share ideas and get inspiration from colleagues who have such wonderful experience.

THANKS YALSA!!

Check out the original post here!

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of painting nails pink for breast cancer awareness at the library. What fun! Could go red in February for women and heart disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea, and I fully support having a Pinterest with library ideas (I've started a board of my own and I recently "pinned" some cupcakes with frosting that supposedly glows in the dark). I also love (LOVE) crafts and Pinterest, so no need to feel shame in your obsession. I'm wondering what other ways you could also involve kids - maybe by having a suggestion box for them to drop craft ideas into. One downside to that might be that kids will request absurd things - but there's no harm done if they do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of not only incorporating crafts, but giving a specific context, like the breast cancer awareness nails. What a great idea. I am currently leading a friendship making club for 1st graders in my school library once per week. It's been lots of fun. In the past I also did crochet with 3rd-5th graders.
    So, what is your pinterest name so we can see all of the great things you've discovered?

    Kate K. (506)

    ReplyDelete