Monday, November 5, 2012

Stereotypes and Shoes!

I have the hardest time when it comes to stereotypes and librarians. I recently went to a new doctor, who, after just a few minutes, asked me what I was going to school for. When I told her I wanted to be a children's librarian, I got the typical response.

"Really? You want to work somewhere quiet all day? I wouldn't picture you doing that!"

Oh boy. If I had a nickel for every single time I have heard that, well, let's just say I would have library school paid off by now.

I think that it can be extremely hard to try to explain how interactive working in a library actually is. For someone as talkative as myself, I don't see this job as being a typical "desk job", which is how I think a lot of people picture it. Working in a school library, I'm talking all day long and interacting with teachers, students, and staff. Rarely, if ever, am I sitting in a quiet library. And NEVER am I reading a book (another common misconception of what a library worker does all day).

I think the problem is that libraries have come so far, but those who stick with the stereotypes are probably the same people who don't use their library, unfortunately.

So the next time someone wonders why a chatty, bubbly, 20-something adult wants to work in a library, well, you know what they say.....if the shoe fits.......


2 comments:

  1. You had me at shoes.....
    We hang out with the school librarian and her husband from time to time--we go to ballroom (may not be a surprising activity for a librarian), night club, and latin dance classes/dances occasionally. When my lunch group heard this they were surprised---but now that her schedule changed and she has joined our lunch group they see the 'wild' side of the librarian. Anyway, I agree with you that many people do not understand how interactive librarianship is and that librarians don't fit the mold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it very interesting to think about these common misunderstandings about education. Today I did an interview with a journalism student at UI about technology in education and its implications. One question was, "What would you say to critics who believe that technology challenges how the traditional classroom functions?" In short, I responded that the rest of the world has changed since these critics were children, why wouldn't education. Perhaps it is time to challenge the traditional classroom. And I think that applies to the library as well. Educational settings are not the sterile places that people imagine. They are often loud, filled with laughter and excitement for learning, incorporate technology and collaboration, and prepare students for the world ahead of them, not what is behind them.
    I'm glad you're out there setting them straight.

    Kate K. (506)

    ReplyDelete