Saturday, November 21, 2015

Journey Update

I've spent nearly two months completing my student teaching for certification to be a school librarian, and I'm about ten (school) days away from my last day at my final placement. It's been amazing how many people are so shocked to discover that, yes, you do have to student teach to become a school librarian. It's no different than any other teacher. So here are the top THREE reasons why I think student teaching as a librarian is important:

1. You get to learn from another expert! Spending time my with my cooperating librarian has really given me good, useful tips about my own skills as an educator and has given me so many opportunities to grow.

2. You are an educator! It's sad, but school librarians are often the "forgotten" educator. Their job is so much more than that of storyteller or book refer-er. The skills that can be taught in the library are useful for life outside of the library doors. The traditional role of the librarian has changed and will continue to change!

3. Student teaching is inspirational! It's a time to try things out, get help from other people in your program, and really figure out the type of educator you want to be. It's a time for growth!

No comments:

Post a Comment