Sunday, January 25, 2015

Book Review: The Secret of Pembrooke Park

The Secret of Pembrooke Park
Julie Klassen 
Bethany House Publishers


Abigail Foster bears the weight of her family’s financial misfortune on her shoulders. When the chance to inhabit an abandoned manor arises, she encourages her father to move their family into it, despite local dark rumors surrounding its past. But the manor is only as mysterious as the neighbors of Pembroke Park and Abigail soon discoveries that some mysteries can only be hidden for so long.

The sheer amount of pages threatened to overwhelm me when I first glanced at Julie Klassen’s latest book. Therefore, it sat on my shelf for a little while before I picked it up to read.

I fully regret that decision.

Despite its volume, I was immediately drawn into the characters and plot that Klassen weaved together. This book is a truly well done mystery, set in a historical time period, and is a perfect example to others that there can be a balance between the two. It is not often that I find myself surprised, and this book definitely accomplished that! I was second-guessing myself most of the way, and was impressed that, at its core, the book didn’t seem improbable unlike some mysteries. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who feels that they have been mislead or worn out by this genre. Give it another chance! You won’t be disappointed.


I recieved a free copy of this book from the publishers in exchange for this honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment